Friday, October 2, 2009

The Often Overlooked Culinary Flowers


Contributions byFlowers Boca Raton  21090 St. Andrews Blvd. Boca Raton, FL 33433 561-391-5394


I was absolutely horrified when I saw a beautiful culinary display at my last wedding. I thought the décor by the caterers was absolutely perfect, but at a closer glance I realized how flawed perfection was. To my dismay, the beautiful flowers used to decorate the culinary display were stems of oleander flowers and leaves. For those not familiar with oleander, it is common to Florida’s landscape and also one of the most poisonous plants in the world. Almost all parts of the plant are poisons, especially the sap. This can be fatal to children and have adverse effects in adults.

Although some caterers purchase in advance the flowers and greenery to accent their culinary displays, most rely on other sources…. the natural surroundings, the florist or the centerpieces. Yes, the CENTERPIECES!!! I’ve seen caterers remove flowers from the centerpieces to decorate their culinary display. Their justification…it’s just a few flowers, but to your guests and the rest of us, it’s holes in your floral arrangements. It happens more times than I can keep count of.

My suggestion is to ask your caterer what flowers will be used to dress their trays and culinary display. If you’re not confident with their answer, have your florist provide those greenery and flowers.


Contributions byFlowers Boca Raton  21090 St. Andrews Blvd. Boca Raton, FL 33433 561-391-5394

1 comment:

  1. My favorite retort to the caterer as they attempt to purloin flowers from my center pieces: I will now go to the kitchen and sample each plate once prepared by the chef, then serve immediately to the guests.
    MB

    ReplyDelete